Address: 2425 Birch Ave Nodaway, IA 50857
Committees: Natural Resources (Vice Chair), Agriculture, Appropriations, Human Resources, Judiciary
Subcommittee: Agriculture and Natural Resources Appropriations (Chair)
Sign up for updates from Senator Shipley:
Senator Tom Shipley was born and raised in Adams County and is the fifth generation in his family to be involved in agriculture in Adams County.
He graduated from Villisca High School in 1971 and from Iowa Western Community College in 1973. Senator Shipley earned a bachelor’s of science in Agriculture Education in 1975 from Iowa State University.
After graduating from Iowa State University, he taught VoAg from 1975 t0 1978 at Fremont-Mills High School.
He has devoted much of his life to agriculture, working at:
- Land O’ Lakes at a Livestock Production Specialist in southwest Iowa until 2002.
- United Farmers Merc. Coop as a Feed Department Manager at United Farmers Merc co-op until 2008.
- Iowa Cattlemen’s Association as director of Issues and Policy Management from 2009 to 2011.
- Land O’Lakes/Purina as a Beef Production Specialist from 2011 to today.
Senator Shipley has one daughter, a son-in-law and one granddaughter.
He always has been active in the community, serving:
- 18 years Villisca School Board- several terms as president.
- 22 years – Villisca Volunteer Ambulance service.
- As elder, deacon, Sunday School teacher and in the choir at the First Presbyterian Church.
- As a Board Member on the Mills/Montgomery County Cattlemen’s, Adams County Cattlemen’s, Iowa Cattlemens’ Association – District 18 director, Iowa membership co-chair.
Senator Shipley also has small farming operation and cow herd at Nodaway.