Assistant Majority Leader, District 49
Address: P. O. Box 33, LeClaire, IA 52753
Committees: State Government (Vice Chair), Appropriations, Education, Legislative Council, Natural Resources and Environment
Subcommittee: Education Appropriations (Chair)
As a small business owner, mother of four children, substitute teacher, member of the Iowa Governor’s STEM Council, President of the Quad City Engineering & Science Council, former president of the Pleasant Valley Community School Board, and reserve deputy for the Scott County Sheriff’s Department, Senator Chris Cournoyer is passionate about strengthening our economy, our schools, and our communities.
Senator Cournoyer has a Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science from the University of Texas. After college, she worked as a senior consultant in the Technology Division at Andersen Consulting, serving in the Ecommerce Community of Practice. Since 1997, Senator Cournoyer has worked as a self-employed website designer and developer. Recently, she got her substitute authorization and is helping with the substitute teacher shortage in school districts in her area.
Senator Cournoyer has been involved in numerous ways in her community throughout the years, including:
- Member and Past President, Pleasant Valley Community School District, Board of Directors
- Reserve Deputy, Scott County Sheriff’s Department
- NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
- Junior League of the Quad Cities, Advocacy Committee and Social Media Chair
- Appointed by Governor Terry Branstad to the Southeast Iowa STEM Advisory Board to promote Science, Technology, Engineering and Math in our region and across the state
- Member, North Scott Rotary Club, Group Study Exchange Participant to Bavaria, Germany
- Cub Scout Pack 88 Den Leader; Executive Board Member
- Quad City Engineering & Science Council, Past President, Executive Board, Communications Chair
- Friends of the LeClaire Community Library, Past President, Secretary, Board Member
- Mentor for Iowa Girls Code, a team of PVHS girls interested in Computer Science, facilitated “Hour of Code” for over 500 elementary students to learn about computer programming
- Helped organize the Pleasant Valley High School Trapshooting team
- Coach for FIRST LEGO League and FIRST LEGO League Jr.
- Pleasant Valley Junior High School and Cody Elementary School: PTA President
- LeClaire Chamber of Commerce Board Member, Secretary, Membership Chairperson, Newsletter Committee, Outstanding Volunteer Award; Outstanding Recruitment Award
- Volunteer Basketball, baseball and soccer coach
Senator Cournoyer has also been named one of “20 People Who Make A Difference” by the Bettendorf News/Quad City Times and named “Iowa Women of Innovation – STEM Champion” by the Technology Association of Iowa.