Each year, the last week of session sees pork spending bills get passed and it always frustrates me because I don’t support this type of tax payer spending and it always goes to Des Moines and a few other larger cities. Below is some of the egregious spending that was approved.
- $250,000 for renovating an old bank building downtown Des Moines
- $7.8 million for walking / biking trail projects in Cedar Rapids and Bellevue
- $1,000,000 for a parking lot at a Des Moines Baseball Stadium
- $150,000 for a transit study in Cedar Rapids and Iowa City
- $500,000 for a walking trail bridge in Des Moines